Skip to main content

CP14 Notice
A CP14 notice is a specific type of notice sent by the Internal Revenue
Service (IRS) to taxpayers to inform them about the balance due on their
federal income tax account. The notice is issued when the IRS determines

that the taxpayer has an outstanding tax liability based on the information
provided in their tax return or from other sources.
Key information typically included in a CP14 notice:

  1. Balance Due: The notice will indicate the total amount of tax debt owed
    by the taxpayer, which includes the original tax amount, any penalties,
    and interest that have accrued up to the date of the notice.
  2. Tax Period: The notice will specify the tax year to which the outstanding
    tax liability relates.
  3. Payment Instructions: The CP14 notice will provide instructions on how
    to make a payment to settle the tax debt. The IRS offers various
    payment options, such as electronic payment, credit card payment, or
    sending a check or money order.
  4. Payment Due Date: The notice will include a payment due date, which
    is usually a few weeks from the date of the notice. Taxpayers are
    expected to make the payment by the due date to avoid further
    penalties and interest.
  5. Consequences of Non-Payment: The CP14 notice may explain the
    potential consequences of not paying the tax debt promptly. This can
    include additional penalties and interest, as well as enforcement actions
    like tax liens or levies on the taxpayer’s assets.
    If you receive a CP14 notice, it is essential to review it carefully and take
    appropriate action. If you agree with the tax debt amount, you should make
    the payment by the specified due date. If you believe there is an error or
    discrepancy in the notice, you can contact the IRS using the information
    provided on the notice to resolve the issue.
    Ignoring a CP14 notice can lead to more significant tax problems, so it’s
    crucial to address it promptly. If you are unsure about how to proceed or need
    assistance, consider reaching out to a tax professional or contacting the IRS
    for guidance.

Leave a Reply